Unlike many other types of essay writings, a diagnostic essay is aimed at figuring out how good student’s skills are and what are his strengths and weaknesses. It is an opportunity for the tutors to understand how the curriculum should be structured according to the capabilities of the student.
What is a diagnostic essay?
Students are required to write diagnostic essays in order to showcase the skills that they already have. They can also demonstrate what they need to improve and whether they can meet the class goals.
Remember about the structure
The best outline which is suitable for the diagnostic essay is a common five-paragraph structure.
- Write down the main thesis statement.
- Body paragraphs. Usually, three sections should be enough. Each paragraph can present one key element which supports the main thesis.
- This part should be short and it needs to be finished on a powerful note.
Most of the time, there are time limits for the writing of such essay type as a diagnostic essay. In order to make sure that you deal with time limitations successfully, try to practice before your scheduled essay writing. Choose a topic, set a timer and start writing. After going through such procedure several times, you will be able to gain confidence in finishing your task promptly and qualitatively.
What to consider when writing a diagnostic essay
- Keep calm. Stressing out about the whole writing process will not help you in any way. Obviously, there is a certain type of people who start acting efficiently in the stressful situation. However, if you are not one of them, avoid panicking at all cost with whatever method is workable for you.
- Understand the prompt/question/task correctly. You need to make sure that you clearly know what you need to write about. Answering the wrong question will not help you showcase your skills and will make you look like an inattentive student. Take some time to get the main idea and only then you can start writing.
- Do not rush. If you have an allotted time for writing your essay, do not get into writing straight away. Set aside some time to figure out what you are going to write about, create an approximate outline and decide which conclusion you would like to end up with. Creating a direction will help you get easier through the process without getting lost in your own ideas.
The idea behind writing a diagnostic essay is to present what you are capable of at the particular curve of the learning point. The emphasis is not on the particular set of knowledge that you have but on your skills and on whether you can effectively apply them during the next term.
If you are anxious about the upcoming writing of your diagnostic essay, you can contact our essay service for the comprehensive advice. We can answer all your questions on how to write a diagnostic essay properly in order to show your skills and talents to the most.