Writing a cause and effect essay can be easy if you know how to write it. Here is a quick guide on how to effortlessly compose this type of paper and get good grades.
What is a cause and effect essay?
A cause and effect essay is all about critical evaluation of the given topic and figuring out the connection between a certain phenomenon and an effect that it produced. The author needs to thoroughly analyze the issue and provide a conclusion, which may include suggestions on how the scenario may or should change in the future.
How to write an outline for a cause and effect essay?
The majority of papers have a five-paragraph structure but in case of this type of writing the number of sections may vary. The text may contain less or more than five paragraphs as long as you feel that the valid determination of the correlation between the reason and impact took place.
There are three main types of basic structure of a cause and effect essays:
- Many causes and one effect.Here you can demonstrate how a number of various causes led to one particular effect. It is advisable to examine as many reasons as possible and preferably, they should be taken from different areas.
- One cause and many effects.If you opt for this type of outline, you will need to display how well you know the cause of the events. If you fully understand why something happened, it will be easier to explain why the effects took place.
- Cause and effect chain.This type of structure is trickier than previous two on the list and it reminds the domino model. Demonstrating a logical sequence of events followed by corresponding outcomes can be quite challenging because it requires an ability to smoothly and logically correlate causes and effects one by one.
Choose a topic correctly
Very often, students are assigned a particular topic to write on but if you have an opportunity to choose the subject of discussion by yourself, use this chance wisely. If you select a topic that you can relate to, it is more likely that you will come up with a great essay. You might not be able to write your best paper if you discuss something that you don’t like or simply don’t understand.
Here’s our selection of interesting cause and effect essay topics, which you may use as examples:
- Climate change causes and potential outcomes
- Analyzing the consequences of the Civil War in the United States
- Contamination of the ocean and its potential threats
- Pros and cons of cloning humans
- Consequences of living without a father
- Cause and effect essay on overpopulation
Use transitional words
When writing a cause and effect essay, one has to make sure that the ideas are logically structured. For the sentences to be smoothly connected, you are strongly recommended to use transition words, which are essential literary devices used for introducing a certain shift between points and ideas. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- For this reason
- Under those circumstances
- Due to
- As a result
Hopefully, crafting a cause and effect essay is no longer scary for you but if you still struggle, get rid of the stress, contact us and get your paper written by a professional essay writing service.